I just installed Kubuntu on an Acer Aspire V3 netbook with a SSD using GPT and the following partition layout:

  • 1 MB unformatted partition with boot_grub flag,
  • 200 MB FAT32 partition with kick flag,
  • 2GB swap segmentation,
  • 20 GB ext4 partition,
  • 90 GB ext4 partition.

The netbook fails to notice my EFI partition. When I disable the secure way I can access a menu for choosing a boot binary. The menu shows my SSD only no EFI partition on it.

I am merely able to boot in legacy mode (using the BIOS partition). Does anyone has the aforementioned netbook booting in EFI mode? What is your partition scheme?

snoop

three,900 7 gold badges 37 silver badges 58 statuary badges

asked Sep sixteen 2015 at 10:39

2

  • Information technology sounds similar you need to install an EFI boot loader for Linux. Y'all should disable the BIOS/CSM/legacy support in the firmware, boot a live CD, and run Kicking Repair. If that doesn't help, post the URL that Kicking Repair generates; that volition give us necessary details about your configuration.

    Sep 16 2015 at 22:04

  • I but chatted with the Acer support; they told me to use the Windows 8.1 image to restore my drive :-) And so I told the support guy that I have the Linpus version and he told me that Acer does not support Linux :-( And he didn't know whatever details near EFI partitions.

    Sep 17 2015 at nineteen:42

2 Answers two

I finally solved the issue, Kubuntu is able to boot with the default UEFI firmware settings (no legacy mode, secure boot enabled). EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi needs to be selected once in the UEFI (press F2 during boot, ready a supervisor password, then got to Select an UEFI file equally trusted for executing and selection EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi). The password can be removed afterwards. Hither some background data: SHIM (shimx64.efi) is a (Microsoft) signed binary used to call Chow (grubx64.efi); Chow then loads the Linux kernel. By the mode when I kicking in legacy manner Kubuntu is unable to shut down correctly and crashes every time I try to modify the mouse settings; this is solved after switching to UEFI mode.

answered Sep 20 2015 at 18:25

2

  • Many systems require the piece of work around you only did. Simply Acer seems to have a process where you lot set a supervisory password and then drill downwardly to the ubuntu efi boot files and set up "trust" askubuntu.com/questions/597213/…

    Sep 21 2015 at 21:50

  • Cheers for you remark, I removed the EFI/kick folder and selected EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi as trusted for executing and it works too. So I don't need to copy and rename files on the my EFI partition. I tried that too but for some reason it did non piece of work. I will right my solution.

    Sep 22 2015 at 6:44

I tried for hours to get my Acer laptop to recognise the right EFI to launch. The bios didn't take the ability to select a trusted EFI and it while it could successfully kick a windows OS, Linux would failed. I solved it by copying the Linux EFI into the windows boot folder and renaming shim64x.efi over the windows bootmgr.

Worked like a charm, looks like Acer has hard coded the EFI that will kicking.

answered Aug 19 2019 at 21:37

i

  • Thanks for sharing the information. If this is confirmed hard coding the path to the bootloader inside the UEFI firmware is ugly.

    Aug 21 2019 at 0:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged grub-efi or ask your own question.